SEO is an abbreviation and stands for Search Engine Optimisation.
It is the simple activity of ensuring a website can be found in search engines when, words or phrases relevant to what a site is offering, are typed into the search window.
For a site to receive many visitors from a search engine’s users, it has to appear earlier or more frequently in the search results list.
SEO takes into account how the search engine works, what people search for, the actual search keyword or phrase typed into the search engine, and which search engines are preferred by the target audience.
SEO may target different kinds of searches. For example an image search, a video search, a local search, or a news search.
Optimizing a website to achieve good SEO may involve editing its content, HTML, and the associated coding to increase the relevance to specific keywords and to remove barriers to the indexing activities of search engines.
Some tips and techniques for getting better search results:
- Write great, unique content that uses words or phrases used by people who search for your product or service.
- Make your content easy for people to share and link to it.
- Use your keywords as anchor text when you are linking internally. Links that say “Click here” do not do anything for your search engine visibility.
- Do some research on keywords at the beginning of the project.
- Use a unique and relevant title and meta description on each page. The tile is an extremely important on-page SEO factor.
- Commit yourself to the project. You have to keep doing it. SEO is not a one-time event. Things change all the time, so what worked last year might not work this year.
- Have web analytics in place. This will help you track what is working and what is not.
- Be patient! SEO is not about instant gratification. It may be months before you see any results, especially if you are a smaller company.